Netflix | Ambassador Partner
Do you remember buying bubble gum and getting those cute little Archie comics inside when you were a kid? Maybe I’m aging myself. I know my son whose eighteen has no idea who Archie, Jughead, Betty or Veronica are. But I do, and so when I heard that Netflix was doing an Original series, I was a bit leery about even entertaining the idea of watching it. Now, I’m glad I did because Riverdale is more than just a bubble gum comic.
Riverdale has been compared to two of my favorite shows ever on television. Veronica Mars meets Twin Peaks, and it’s true. This is not the comic I grew up reading. It’s even better!
Filmed right here in the lower mainland and the pilot just a hop, skip and jump away from where I live at our famous eating establishment Rocko’s Diner, a place that I frequented on those drunk nights after cowboy clubbing in search of the golden french fry at 3 a.m. makes this series exciting.
Archie, Veronica, Betty and Jughead take you on a wild ride through Riverdale, a place that is not as quiet and simple as it seems. In fact, nothing is as it seems (no spoilers sorry) you have to watch, but you trust me when I say you won’t want to miss an episode and will become instantly hooked.
Some Fun Facts You Might Not Know About The Series
- The set used is also used in Gilmore Girls, Pretty Little Liars and Hart of Dixie
- Jughead wears a beanie in the series as homage to the original hat Jughead wore which was a Whoopee Cap.
- The sign in the video reading “Welcome to Riverdale: The Town With Pep!” is paying homage to the Archie comic as it debut in Pep Comics December 1941.
- Rocko’s Diner used in the filming of the pilot Riverdale was also used to film the movie “Horns” starring Daniel Radcliffe.
- K.J. Apa who plays “Archie” is from New Zealand. Isn’t his American accent incredible?
- All the episode titles in the series are based off popular movies.
- Luke Perry is one of the stars of the show is no stranger to teen drama’s based on his years with the hit show 90210 which also got remade.
So when I say teen drama. You may be thinking okay this isn’t for me, oh but it is. It’s not just that characters are intriguing. Mix that with murder, mystery, betrayal, friendship, love and deception. You get an hour of a fun-tas-tic thrill ride that will keep you guessing and entertained all the way through.
Here is the story plot rundown for you.
Archie Andrews starts the school year with the world weighing on his shoulders. He’s decided he wants to pursue a future in the music business, but his recently ended clandestine relationship with the music teacher has left him without a mentor, and his friendship with Jughead Jones is in a bad place. Things look like they might be turning around when Veronica Lodge, a new girl, arrives. Despite the instant chemistry, Veronica is hesitant to risk a friendship with Betty — who has a crush on Archie — to pursue anything. Amidst all the small-town banality lurks a mystery: the recent tragic death of Jason Blossom, the twin brother of beautiful and popular troublemaker, Cheryl.
Like I said. Fun, eh? You can watch Riverdale’s 1st season on Netflix right now. I love watching it on Netflix with no commercials. Of course, I was banned from binging. You can read about that here. So I’m watching one episode at a time, slowly, carefully, enjoying every single moment.