People have been smoking for centuries now. However, within the last decade there’s a new alternative that’s become popular. “Vaping,” as it’s known, is another name for e-cigarettes (a.k.a. electronic cigarettes). These deliver nicotine-containing aerosol (more commonly known as vapor) to you by heating up a solution containing nicotine and flavoring agents. This has become so popular today that it’s now part of the Oxford English Dictionary and won Word of the Year for 2014.
How E-Cigs Work
Many people still don’t understand how e-cigs work though. Until you do, you can’t understand why so many people like it and why it’s becoming so popular. So, how does it work?
Both vaporizers and e-cigarettes are marvels of modern technology. They combine form and function so you can inhale nicotine. Regardless of the type of e-cig you opt for, there are three main components. These include:
- A battery, which is responsible for powering the atomizer.
- A tank, which holds the e-liquid.
- An atomizer, which heats the e-liquid so it turns into a vapor.
Besides these three main components, you’ll also need an e-liquid (a.k.a. e-juice, vape juice). This is the liquid you put inside of the vaporizer’s tank where the atomizer heats it up before you inhale it. There are many different flavors available – one to meet each person’s personal tastes. They range from the traditional tobacco flavor to sweet and fruity flavors like candy and apples. It’s important to choose the right e-liquid since this is where the nicotine is. As far as the nicotine, there are various levels available, which is really good news for anyone who’s trying to quit smoking or simply cut down on the amount they smoke each day. Here again, there really is something available for everyone. It’s simply a matter of deciding how much nicotine you need from your e-cigarette.
To know how much nicotine you need, here are some things to consider. If you were a serious cigarette smoker, you’ll need between 24 and 36mg/mL, while those who were smoking “lite” cigarettes should opt for between 12 and 18mg/mL. Of course, if you don’t want any nicotine at all, you’ll want to opt for 0mg/mL.
The Different Types of Vapes
As with anything humans create, the different designs for e-cigarettes are limitless. In fact, there really is something available for each type of vaper. These different models include:
- Tabletop Vaporizers which are the original vaporizers, but many have outgrown them since they want to vape outside their home as with smoking and these are not portable.
- Oil-based vape pens run off of batteries that you recharge via USB charger. You fill these with e-juice for on the go.
But there are also many other different types of e-cigarettes you should know about as well, including:
- One piece (a.k.a. disposable) e-cigs are a good way to try various types of e-cigs before deciding which is right for you. Unfortunately, they’re not very reliable, but some companies (e.g. White Cloud and Green Smoke) have perfected theirs.
- Two-piece or cigar like e-cigs are rechargeable but require cartomizers (batteries). These are the most popular because they’re so easy to use. They’re available in both manual (requiring you to push a button with each drag) and Automatic.
Why Vaping Has Grown so Popular Today
Now that you have a better understanding of how e-cigs work, you may still find yourself wondering why they’re so popular today. There are a few different reasons for this.
- One of the main things people like about vaping is they don’t smell like cigarettes so you needn’t worry about your clothes, vehicle, and home smelling bad. Instead, you can smell like coffee, fruit, dessert, or a myriad of other great flavors.
- Another great thing about vaping is it’s safer than cigarettes in that you don’t have ashes falling places so you can do more things like smoke in bed. Of course, this also makes it safer for the environment since there are no paper wrappers to drop either.
- The fact you can buy e-cigs online today has also helped make e-cigarette usage more widespread. Unlike cigarettes, you can buy these from the comfort of your own home through a variety of distributors, making them easy for any adult to get a hold of.
These are some of the reasons why vaping has become so widespread over the past few years. Of course, each person will have their own reasons why they like them.
Disclosure: I am a vaper myself, quitting smoking and urged my mother to quite after her second heart attack. Vaping saved her life, doctor approved. I’m happy to share this information and all opinions are 100% my own.