We love creating unique and delicious meals for our family that fall out of the normally every day foods our boys tend to like, such as spaghetti, chicken fingers, hot dogs. When it comes to creating these meals, our family rely’s on our good friends from VH.
Why we like VH Sauces? VH is more than just sauces, although sauces can turn a lowly meal into a big thing. I don’t know how many times we’ve added a sauce to something, whether it’s a stir fry we are cooking up, a pot roast with some soy for extra flavor, or just trying something new with some kick. VH is our main choice!
VH helps put the spice in Shepherd’s Pie!
I received this package to help make one of my families favorite dishes–Shepherd’s Pie as part of this amazing Blog Tour hosted by Kathryn at Mommy Kat and Kids. Now normally I use my mom’s recipe which is ground beef, soup mix, veggies and really that’s it to make my Shepherd’s Pie. I always find it doesn’t have enough flavor. So tonight we decided to try out the Asian 5 Spice and some wonderful VH Soya Sauce to liven things up!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 cups (750 mL) finely chopped onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped celery (optional)
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) ground beef
- 1 lb (500 g) ground pork
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) VH® Soya Sauce
- 1 bottle (355 mL) VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce
- 1 can (398 mL) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce Original
- 1 cup (250 mL) froze
- n peas
- 2 1/2 lb (1.25 kg) yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- PAM® Original Cooking Spray
- Spray a large cooking saucepan with PAM® Original Cooking Spray.
- Add oil; heat over medium heat.
- Add onions and celery; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add beef and pork; cook, stirring for 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and lightly browned.
- Add flour, stir until well mixed.
- Add VH® Soya Sauce, VH®Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce, HUNT'S® Tomato Sauce and 1 cup (250 mL) water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, partially covered, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in peas.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in large pot of boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Drain. Add butter, milk and potatoes back into pot and mash.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add more milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Spray a 9"x 9" baking dish with PAM® Original Cooking Spray; spread meat mixture in dish and top evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven until heated through and bubbling around edges, about 25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My boys absolutely loved dinner! Quite often they want second helpings but usually we have left overs. This time we didn’t have anything so I know they liked it. VH offers amazing recipes and ideas on their Facebook page and give them a follow @vhsauces
A good bloggy friend of mine chose me as her pay it forward blogger to participate in this great VH Exited Your Dinner Blog Tour. I’m paying it forward and now passing this opportunity on to my friend Nicole @DomesticatedMomma who is a recipe guru. Check her out and discover yet another great Canadian blog!
Disclosure: I am participating in the VH Excite Your Dinner blog tour by enCompass Media on behalf of Con Agra Foods. I received compensation as a thank you for participating and for sharing my honest opinion.”